I finished my sewing machine cover just in the nick of time for the Nature Walk Fabric / Michael Miller challenge.
In my original post I thought I’d make a sewing machine cover… and I stuck to that plan since I really needed an excuse and a deadline to make one! Which is ridiculous, I have to admit, since it didn’t take that long and my poor machine has been suffering for no reason! (the horror!) Well not any more!
I purchased all my Nature Walk and charcoal Cotton Couture fabric from Fat Quarter Shop. There are two equally gorgeous color stories to choose from, by the very talented artist Tamara Kate…Seriously… how do you choose? I have to say, I was kicking myself for not ordering some of the daydream butterfly fabric!
I was thinking that if my girls were still little I would totally make valances with the ABC fabric – it’s adorable! But back to the machine cover…
While I was working on my cover I took some pics of how I put it together… Here are some steps (you’ll have to do your own machine measurements):
Measure your machine and decide on size of cover. I’m making my cover for my babylock BLQP. My machine measured 8″ deep, 15″ tall (to top of thread cone) and 20″ wide. I wanted my cover to be BIG ~ I don’t want to be fussing when I put the cover on, I want it to fit over easy and quick. It goes together in three pieces, the body and the two sides…
Sandwich the body, batting and lining, then quilt.
To figure the length for the body of my cover I added the height x 2 + depth and added a couple inches to spare for roominess.
For the sides of my bag I used Pellon foam in the sandwich and it worked like a dream. I quilted it with a couple straight line stitches, rounded the corners and then sewed 1/8″ around the edges to keep the edges in place. If I didn’t plan to do a little hand stitching around my letters on the body I would have used the pellon foam for the body too – it helps your cover stand up quite nicely.
I bound the bottom edge of the two sides and the top and bottom edges of the body. Since my corners were slightly rounded I made bias binding from the green ‘tall grass’ fabric.
I used wonder clips to hold it all in place for stitching. These clips are so much better than pins!
Done! All snug and happy!